Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Art and Technology

Click to view video

I was skimming through a technology blog and stumbled upon this video that discusses the Mercy High School Art Department's use of the tablet PC in the classroom. As a fellow art student in high school, I found this very interesting and could relate to the advantages that combining art and technology can give to an art student. I own a tablet now (and highly recommend you do the same if you are interested in design), but I had never had the chance to try one out in high school. They had several cheap design programs but they never taught us how to use them. In fact, my teacher ended up telling us to take a day and teach ourselves. As you can see in the video, tablets are allowing technology to becom central to the art program. It is amazing the freedom the tablet allows you to have while being creative. Before using the tablet, I was a bit intimidated and skeptical of its ability to display my work like paper did. However, I think the examples shown in the video of paintings done on paper and through technology look very similar! It really does feel like you are painting in different mediums such as charcoal, oil paint, etc. With technology becoming such a crucial part of daily life it makes sense that the way art is done will change as well.

- Sarah W.

No comments:

Post a Comment