Friday, November 5, 2010

Phones as an extension of Our Identity?

This picture is seriously hilarious because we see ourselves only as good as having the newest technology.  Phones especially have become extensions of how we see ourselves.  They are custom to our needs and fit into how we want to be seen.  The different phone companies market certain phones to certain demographics. The Iphone is marketed to people who have all the best and new technology.  Blackberry has always been seen as the phone for the business elite.  Android is seen as an open system for freedom in your phone, apparently for technology geeks.  

The picture displays truth.  Whether we like it or not technology is another way to be judged.  It is an extension of our appearance, like our clothing still is.  It is another way to express ourselves that is completely arbitrary, yet is so important in these times.  On campus it seems as if 90% own a Mac.  Why?  It exploded as the cool thing everyone must have.  Phones have infiltrated our everyday life.  We spend countless hours texting, talking, surfing the internet, playing games, downloading apps, and sharing our lives.  It is now an extension of who we are.

 Phones have become another way to express our so called individuality and status.  A phone now supposedly says a lot about who we are as people.  I am not sure that most people actually buy a certain phone because of all the features it has.  I think to myself, are they just buying it for the image?

I think the important point is that people view technology as a part of who they are. Phones stay in our pockets, our hands, next to us when we sleep, wake us up in the morning, and connect us to other people.  I think that these stigmas and ideas about phones trually exist. I wonder what people think about me and my phone?

1 comment:

  1. This post is hilarious. It also makes me wonder how others see me and my phone?

    ReplyDelete